Turning on the widget to show off top posts by views or comments has been a curious commentary on JapanCanMix’s content. The Zoff review is always at or near the top for views. Sorting by comments doesn’t lead to a theme. Photography posts win the likes contest. Posts at the bottom also seem random but tend to be older.
My favorites don’t match those of readers but that’s okay! I figure blogging is like music and movies – personal taste is the decider so it’s no problem if my favorites are your ho-hums.
JapanCanMix opened in mid-June 2014. Here is the Post Parade as of January 2015!
Top 5 posts by views
- Buying spectacles in Japan from Zoff ◊ Why is this post so popular? I have no idea. I guess a lot of people want to buy glasses from the chain.
- atrix hand gel – dry yet smooth, sticky yet cool ◊ Apparently more people know about atrix than I thought.
- Lazy Sushi Recipe: an easy meal that looks messy and tastes great! ◊ This one is one of our favorite and super easy meals.
- 旦那の独り言 18: ヒトシがカナダの日本食レストランについて分析 (Japanese restaurants in Canada) ◊ I think this one is near the top by mistake. It’s a Japanese podcast and I’ve assumed that English speakers want to know about Japanese restaurants in Canada. While I would love to comment, in English, it’s not going to happen. As per the post preamble, we don’t go to Japanese restaurants where we live in Canada.
- What does the “shin” in train station names mean? (and the Osaka mix-up) ◊ Like the lazy sushi one, I figured this might answer some questions for the curious.
Top 5 posts by comments
- Overhaul plans for JapanCanMix – Who am I and why am I here? ◊ This post elicited really helpful feedback from bloggers who have been around for a lot longer than me. Thank you!
- The Rice Crisis – my Japanese husband teaches me why I should care ◊ I’m glad I resurrected this old post. The comments have been a wonderful window into the experiences of readers.
- PF 12: lantern on a street in Kyoto – what would you change? ◊ Again, readers were very generous and forthcoming in their feedback.
- In Pictures: Country miso soup and rice with homemade sprinkles ◊ This was a post where I went for photos rather than words and it was interesting to see what happened.
- Top four REAL reasons to move to Japan ◊ This post was what I like to do when I miss Japan and it was fun to see the response.
Top 5 posts by likes
- Photo Fridays! Take 8: discarded gomagi at a Kyoto shrine ◊ I’m still puzzled what appealed here. Regardless, I think it’s a really interesting display.
- Tokyo Tower reflected at night ◊ This was a shocker. The likes and views kept climbing beyond anything I expected. The photo looks even better in print.
- Near the sea: six views of descent in Japan ◊ I loved compiling this selection.
- Three dreamy moments in Japan: a mountain, a caldera and a park fountain ◊ This was the first selection of photos I did for the WP Weekly Photo Challenge.
- Hope and change in an Eternal Flame ◊ I took these photos on New Year’s Day and I loved the fit with the WP Photo Challenge for that week.
Bottom 5 posts by visits
- Reblogged: Kobe, Japan Images: Wait a minute, Mr. Postman ◊ I adore postboxes and Jacqueline made a fantastic collection.
- Photo Fridays! Take 9: tall trees ◊ I love trees and this photo.
- My travels: North America and Europe ◊ Perhaps there’s another way I can position this post.
- Reflections on visiting Hiroshima ◊ I’m considering reposting this. Hiroshima gets written up frequently but I would love to hear reader opinions and experiences.
- The Map! Tokyo’s transportation network bringing me to my knees ◊ This is a personal story that brings me back to the first time I explored Tokyo alone.
A few of my favorites, in no particular order
- Narita Airport to Tokyo from helicoptor to bus ◊ I love transportation and this post was fun for its memories and imagining what it would be like to take a helicopter into Tokyo.
- Belching heaters, blood type horoscopes & the Yamanote Voice: Tokyo’s Trains! ◊ Like the previous post, this one is all about the memories and sharing them.
- Travelling with baby – Part 1: uncontrollable, irrational, ridiculous worry ◊ This pokes fun at my anxiety travelling with our baby for the first time. And I think other parents feel the same!
- #2 – Phi Phi Don, Thailand, December 2004 ◊ This post was very personal in reliving a time that I have rarely spoken of.
- Sweatiquette! Part 1: the first six ways to deal with sweat in the summer ◊ Sweating and summer are twins in Japan. This post is part of a series sharing my discoveries and surprises.
If you have a blog, have you noticed anything interesting, unusual or plain weird about your post parade? If not, when you’re wandering through blogs, what posts tend to catch your eye?