Buckets of flowers and thanks to Manasvi over at Memoirs of a Wandering Mind for nominating Hilary’s Global Café aka JapanCanMix for the Liebster Award. I accept!
Rules of the Liebster Award
- Thank and link the person who nominated you.
- Answer the questions given by the nominator.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers, who have less than 200 followers and link them.
- Create 11 new questions for the nominees to answer.
- Notify all nominees via social media/blogs.
Manasvi’s questions for the nominees
1. What was your favorite class in school?
Hmm… I’m in my 40s and enjoy learning, which means a lot of classes in a lot of schools. Taking a different path, my favorite class in the school of life has been raising our ever-changing baby-chan.
2. What is your favorite season and why?
Fall in Canada and Japan. The smells, colours, changing air, and transitions are always rejuvenating.
3. Do you have pets?
Nope. Maybe a dog in the future?
4. What is your favorite childhood memory?
One would be a surprise trip to Hawaii in junior high. Our parents told us just before and off we went to Oahu. Trying snorkelling at an isolated beach, eating cheese and bacon croissants for breaky, learning to use poi balls at the Polynesian Cultural Centre, getting freaked out by Unsolved Mysteries on TV, and playing McDonalds Monopoly were highlights.
5. What is your favorite dessert?
Anything sweet and delicious. More specific? Cupcakes with tons of icing. Nanaimo Bars. Panna cotta. Ice cream. High quality macarons. Decadent cakes from boutique Japanese bakeries. Lemon mousse made with real lemons.
6. What’s the must-visit spot around your hometown? If you could, name a place better known by local people.
Not sure about my hometown but in Tokyo, I loved walking along the Arakawa River near our apartment on Heart Island in Adachi Ward. I don’t think too many visitors would go there and the view is gorgeous, especially after a storm.
7. What are your goals for 2015, if any?
There are many but one that is consistent is being a present, mindful mom and partner in raising our child.
8. What are you most grateful for in your life?
Family and friends and a roof over my head.
9. What is your favorite place in this world?
Beside my hubby and baby.
10. What would you do if you won the lottery?
Easy! I will assume $1,000,000. Invest 25% into exchange-traded funds, 25% to my parents and Hitoshi’s parents for travel to see us and go where they want, 35% to buy a modest home in Japan and pay off Canadian home, 10% into a fund for baby, and 5% to travel for 6 months around the world.
11. If money was not a concern, what would you most like to buy?
A way to stop the ridiculous violence destroying humanity, an end to climate change, and a way for humans and the environment to live peacefully.
The rule for nominations is blogs with under 200 followers. For some, I don’t know the follower count but the blogs are too fabulous not to include. For the rest, I used the WP follower count only. And if you have been nominated and this is where you are finding out, stay posted! Your nomination comment will arrive soon.
1. Gozumezu – This is my hubby’s blog. I love his Japanese stories and way of telling them.
2. Ichigoichielove – Ri/Risa/Lisa has a fantastic collection of stories, blasts from the past, newsy roundups and commentary on all things Japan with a dash of Sweden.
3. The Days of Hanako – A talented cartoonist sharing funny moments as a Japanese woman living in Toronto with her Canadian husband.
4. The Good Shufu – I love Tracy’s intriguing and thought-provoking questions and of course, am looking forward to her book.
5. Rei Saionji – A fantastic site filled with articles about Japan with unique twists. I love how Rei approaches her work.
6. Brave Enough to Start – I told Nicola that I felt like I was talking to my twin. I can’t wait to read more as this family gears up for a world journey.
7. My Bold Move – Reading updates on getting a farmhouse in Norway fixed up was a delight. Newer posts focus on Bangkok, a personal favorite. I’ve got some catching up to do.
8. Crazy Chinese Family – I recently started reading this blog written by a Finnish hubby and his Chinese family. Having spent a uni year in Finland many moons ago, it’s fun to see a Finnish perspective again!
9. Marta Lives in China – Here is another intercultural couple, this time Marta from Spain and her life in China. My favorite post so far has been all about trains.
10. Wandering Myra – I really enjoy Myra’s posts, especially her “Things I’m Loving” series. She spent time in Japan and is now in Hawaii in school.
11. Pintsized Wanderlust – I haven’t checked out this blog for a while but have enjoyed the thorough and interesting posts on travel around the world.
Questions for the nominees, and you, too!
1. What is one thing you would like to share with me about you?
2. What do you value?
3. What food says home to you?
4. What would you like to do over if you had the chance?
5. Do you prefer to handwrite or type and why?
6. What does culture mean to you?
7. Can art and science walk together?
8. What tune gets you moving?
9. What is your favourite smell?
10. Is astrology accurate?
11. If you drive a car, what is your first reaction when you see a yellow light?
Thank you for the chance to continue the chain of sharing appreciation for exciting and interesting work around the web!
Feel free to answer one or more of the nominee questions below, even if you aren’t on the nominee list. It’s a treat to find out more about you!